What does organic mean?

Consumption of organic products is becoming more and more popular, so we have gathered the most important information about what qualifies food as organic.

What does organic exactly mean?

It means that the raw material or food of plant or animal origin has been produced in accordance with the regulations of organic farming.
Organic food is produced without using fertilizers, synthetic or toxic materials. Nutrient replenishment is only provided with materials of organic origin (e.g. compost, manure).
Plant pests are usually eradicated mechanically and against pathogens only natural agents that are not absorbed by plants or can be easily washed off with water are used.
The production of organic products achieves lower yields than traditional cultivation (with chemicals and fertilizers) at a higher cost and organic food is therefore more expensive. Nonetheless the price difference is offset by higher quality and healthier consumption of these products.

What do we mean by organic food?

Organic food contains ingredients from controlled organic farming at least 95%. There are strict conditions for the remaining 5%, since it can only be an ingredient that can not be replaced by organic raw materials (e.g. salt). The use of these ingredients is subject to authorization.

The production, process, storage and transport of organic food comply with strict domestic and European Union legislation and regulations. The inspection and certification are performed in Hungary by Biokontroll Hungária Nonprofit Kft. or Bio Garancia Kft.

Why choose organic food?

As the use of all synthetic substances (fertilizers, pesticides) and genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are prohibited in organic farming, the nutritional value of organic food is higher and their consumption has been proven to be healthier.
In addition, purchasing organic food promotes sustainable agriculture and environmental protection.

How can you make sure that a product is truly organic?

If the logo of Biokontroll Hungária Nonprofit Kft., Bio Öko Garancia Kft. or the EU organic logo is displayed on the product packaging, it acts as a guarantee that the product has been checked and certified by an authorised body.
Eu bio

The certification of our products is carried out by Biokontroll Hungária Nonprofit Kft. Their main task is to continuously check that we comply with legal requirements.